What is The Science of Baking?
The Science of Baking is a 6-week eCourse that will uncover the “why” behind the “how” of baking.
We will explore the most common ingredients and how they affect our baking when used in different ways. Once you understand the science of baking, you will be able to turn old baking failures into successes and troubleshoot as you bake from now on.
With Anneka Manning helping and encouraging you along the way, you’ll work through common baking mishaps – like why a cake hasn’t risen – and be guided through the science behind it, so you can apply this knowledge every single time you bake and ensure the best results.
The course will be delivered in 6 modules which are released weekly. Made up of videos, recipes, experiments, infographics and information sheets, you can download and print them off to study and enjoy at your own pace. The information will be presented in a fun and interesting way and will be backed up with practical projects, online discussions and lots of support.
In just 6 weeks you will understand why you’re using particular ingredients and the science behind what happens when you use them to guarantee success whenever you bake. You’ll gain the confidence to try past failed recipes again as well as the skill to adjust recipes with success.
Understanding the science of baking will open your eyes to the bigger baking picture and truly transform the way that you bake from now on.
"The Science of Baking is a fantastic way to learn in your own kitchen whilst having Anneka there to guide you. Knowing the science or the 'why' behind baking has given me a whole other level of knowledge and confidence ... I absolutely loved the course – I definitely learned what I hoped to and now know what things to consider when the bake doesn't go according to plan, or how to plan and prepare myself for a successful bake – I feel like I have some 'insider' knowledge! If possible, I love baking even more now." – Vanessa Matthews, Adelaide
19th March – 30th April 2021
We will only be accepting 40 bakers for each course so that Anneka can provide personal feedback and timely answers to your baking questions.
Whether you’re an occasional cook or a diehard daily baker, there’s a huge amount to learn from The Science of Baking. If you are a beginner baker, we highly recommend that you complete Baking Foundations online course first.
- Would you like to understand the science behind baking and what is actually happening when you bake?
- Are you interested in why some bakes don’t work as expected?
- Would you like to extend, strengthen and improve your baking skills?
- Would you love to learn from Anneka but can't physically get to one of her face-to-face workshops or classes?
- Would you like to become part of the BakeClub community?
- Are you interested in meeting other like-minded people and sharing your love of baking?
- Six downloadable course modules which will include invaluable information sheets, videos, recipes, experiments, infographics and much more to support and inspire your learning.
- Personal and timely baking advice, guidance and inspiration from Anneka Manning.
- A chance to learn about the science of baking surrounded (virtually) by like-minded people.
- Access to a closed Facebook group where you will be able to chat with Anneka and your fellow students enabling you to learn from, connect with and share your baking journey with each other.
- During the course, you will have access to two Facebook Live Q&As with Anneka (one in Week 3 and one in Week 6). This will give you the opportunity to ask her any baking questions that have arisen for you during the course.
- A thorough understanding of the science of baking and how to apply what you’ve learnt to always ensure baking success.
- Baking confidence, knowledge and skill to use regularly at home
"My favourite part was being able to ask questions throughout the course based on the baking you were doing, or what you saw others doing. I absolutely respect Anneka's ability to be able to offer information in a very clear and concise manner and I got more than expected from the course. If you are interested in understanding what is happening when you bake, so that you can get better outcomes, then you must do this course!" – Gina Hughes, Perth
Each module will include a combination of baking theory and practical exercises including experiments and recipes. The experiments will bring the theory to life and really show you what is happening when we bake.
The first module will introduce you to the concept of the “why” of baking and how becoming an observant – and mindful – baker can change the way you look at baking and, ultimately, the success you will have. You will also be taken through the 7 stages of baking helping you to fully understand what happens to your bake while in the oven.
During the second module, we will explore what makes your baking rise and gives it lightness – we will look at what leavening is and how it works, the different types of leavening you can use in your baking and which ones are best used for particular recipes.
Gluten (flour protein) is one of the three main structure-builders in baking and is the most complex in the way it works. This module will explore the many factors that control how and to what extent gluten is developed in your bakes, as well as touch on gluten-free flours and what to be aware of when using them in your baking.
The fourth module will explore sugar including the nine important things that sugar does in your baking and how adjusting the amount or type of sugar in a recipe can really affect the results you get.
When it comes to fats in your baking, it is not only the type used but also its consistency and how it is combined with the other ingredients, which will help determine the final texture, volume and flavour of your bake. The fifth module will explain the role that fats play in your baking.
The final module is all about eggs and its many roles. We will look at egg foams, how the freshness of eggs affect your baking as well as the science behind what happens when egg whites are whisked with sugar.
Anneka Manning is an author, food editor, cooking teacher, home economist and the founder of BakeClub. With over 30 years' experience, she specialises in teaching the ‘why’ behind the ‘how’ of baking, giving home cooks the know-how, understanding and skill to bake with confidence and success, every time.