Our March 2019 online program is now SOLD OUT.
If you're interested in enrolling in a future program, click here to express your interest and you'll be one of the first to know when new dates are released.
What is The Science of Baking?
The Science of Baking is a 4-week e-course that will uncover the “why” behind the “how” of baking.
We will explore the most common ingredients and how they affect our baking when used in different ways. Once you understand the science of baking, you will be able to turn old baking failures into successes and troubleshoot as you bake from now on.
With Anneka Manning helping and encouraging you along the way, you’ll work through common baking mishaps – like why a cake hasn’t risen – and be guided through the science behind it, so you can apply this knowledge every single time you bake and ensure the best results.
The course will be delivered in 4 modules which are released weekly. Made up of videos, recipes, experiments, infographics and information sheets, you can download and print them off to study and enjoy at your own pace. The information will be presented in a fun and interesting way and will be backed up with practical projects, online discussions and lots of support.
In just 4 weeks you will understand why you’re using particular ingredients and the science behind what happens when you use them to guarantee success whenever you bake. You’ll gain the confidence to try past failed recipes again as well as the skill to adjust recipes with success.
Understanding the science of baking will open your eyes to the bigger baking picture and truly transform the way that you bake from now on.
"I am so pleased I signed up to this course – it has given me pleasure and confidence and I have "met" some other interesting bakers. I also appreciated the support from Anneka through the Q&As as well as her answers and comments in the Facebook group. I have learnt so much more than I imagined I would." - Ann Brooker, South Australia (Baking Foundations online course student, 2018)
1st–29th March 2019 (SOLD OUT)
If you're interested in enrolling in a future course, please click here
to express your interest and you'll be one of the first to know when new dates are released.
We will only be accepting 30 bakers for each course so that Anneka can provide personal feedback and timely answers to your baking questions.
Who is this course suitable for?
Whether you’re an occasional cook or a diehard daily baker, there’s a huge amount to learn from The Science of Baking. If you are a beginner baker, we highly recommend that you complete Baking Foundations online course
So, is The Science of Baking for me?
- Would you like to understand the science behind baking and what is actually happening when you bake?
- Are you interested in why some bakes don’t work as expected?
- Would you like to extend, strengthen and improve your baking skills?
- Would you love to learn from Anneka but can't physically get to one of her face-to-face workshops or classes?
- Would you like to become part of the BakeClub community?
- Are you interested in meeting other like-minded people and sharing your love of baking?
If any of these sound like you, then The Science of Baking is the course for you!
What will I get?
- Four downloadable course modules which will include invaluable information sheets, videos, recipes, experiments, infographics and much more to support and inspire your learning.
- Personal and timely baking advice, guidance and inspiration from Anneka Manning.
- A chance to learn about the science of baking surrounded (virtually) by like-minded people.
- Access to a closed Facebook group where you will be able to chat with Anneka and your fellow students enabling you to learn from, connect with and share your baking journey with each other.
- During the course, you will have access to two Facebook Live Q&As with Anneka (one in Week 2 and one in Week 4). This will give you the opportunity to ask her any baking questions that have arisen for you during the course.
- A thorough understanding of the science of baking and how to apply what you’ve learnt to always ensure baking success.
- Baking confidence, knowledge and skill to use regularly at home.
"I really enjoyed this course...and appreciated the time that Anneka gave to the Facebook group. Her advice and suggestions were very helpful. This course has given me some great skills which I look forward to trying out on other recipes." - Chloe Davies, Sydney (Baking Foundations online course student, 2018)
Each module will include a combination of baking theory and practical exercises including experiments and recipes. The experiments will bring the theory to life and really show you what is happening when we bake.
Module 1: Becoming an Observant Baker
The first module will introduce you to the concept of the “why” of baking and how becoming an observant – and mindful – baker can change the way you look at baking and, ultimately, the success you will have. You will also be taken through the 7 stages of baking helping you to fully understand what happens to your bake while in the oven.
Module 2: Flour and Flour Proteins & Leavening Agents
During the second module, we will explore what makes your baking rise. We will look at flour and flour proteins (their role and characteristics) as well as the different types of leavening agents and how they relate to the structure of your bake. This module will also touch on gluten-free flours and what to be aware of when using them in your baking.
Module 3: Sugars & Fats and Oils
The third module will explore sugar including the 10 important things that sugars do in your baking and how adjusting the amount or type of sugar in a recipe can really affect the results you get. We will also look at the difference between using butter and oil and how using butter in different forms will really influence your bakes.
Module 4: Eggs
The fourth module is all about eggs and its many roles. We will look at egg foams, how the freshness of eggs affect your baking as well as the science behind what happens when egg whites are whisked with sugar.